First things first, if our purpose is to reach out to potential customers, I don’t see any reason to not leverage these platforms. If anything, these forums provide way more authentic and interactive opportunities than a conventional cold email. With that said, it’s not to underestimate the significance of cold emailing.
Why we should definitely explore Instagram DM and Facebook Messenger for customised marketing opportunities-
- Our audience is present and active – Almost everyone we know is on either or on both of these platforms. There are more than 1 billion monthly active users on Instagram and about 20 billion messages are exchanged between businesses and users on Facebook Messenger on a monthly basis. These stats reflect the probability of availability of our target audience on the two platforms.
- They are genuine, they are open and they are free – I mean if only we could have asked for anything else. As a marketer, it’s anything one can dream of. One of the most challenging things while cold emailing is the authenticity of the email id. Now, here you can verify the account, and you WILL land up in the inbox of the brand or the person you are messaging. You can directly reach the Prime Minister of New Zealand or your favorite fitness expert or that micro influencer from your neighborhood, for free. I mean, could it be more exciting?
- They allow customisation and offer high engagement- In a study by Facebook IQ, conducted with 12,500 people across the globe, 61% of respondents said that they liked personalized messages from businesses. Another study suggests that Messenger strategy results in a 242 percent higher open rate and a 619 percent higher click rate. (Source – Buffer ). As a marketer, you get to be as creative as you wish, in order to intrigue and engage your audience. The engagement opportunities are a treat.
On the top of all these, you get to know who has seen your messages. Isn’t that something!
Now, that we have established the why’s of leveraging the opportunities these platforms offer, let’s get to the how’s –
Instagram DM – (Send Direct Message) Look for accounts / hashtags relevant to your brand. Or choose a relevant location, using the search tab, and scour the posts and accounts. Identify the profiles most relevant to you.
Facebook Messenger – Leverage click to messenger ads or sponsored ads to identify and reach your target audience.
- Bring relevance and value. Don’t sell, give. Social media is about giving value to the people or brand you connect with. Don’t lose out on that principle. For every profile you find valuable to your business, think of the value you can provide. What can you offer? How can your skills or resources help them? Accordingly, personalise your message. That of course would require your time and effort, but it will be worth it.
- The many, the better – You can not stop. Period. You are already aware of diversity, availability and easy accessibility of your target audience. For what it’s worth, exploring opportunities on these platforms can even help you expand the realm of your audience. So, make a daily/monthly target. Ensure you do meet the minimum numbers. There are millions and billions of accounts. You can never do it enough. Reach out to as many as you can.